Tuesday 21 April 2015

Painting Fences


Having replaced a few fence panels last year, and again this year, we ended up with a fence sporting shades of the usual 'fence orange' (that revolting orangey-brown the manufacturers paint them in), some dark brown, and the silver grey of the older panels which we didn't need to change. My husband could live with this motley collection, but I decided to paint them as that jumbled look really irks me.

In Norway fences tend to be white, and neat - picket fences. But here in England people like privacy, so fences are 6 foot tall and resemble flimsy clapboard. Most people don't seem to paint their fences, which surely means they will deteriorate faster?
I have a lot of fencing to paint, and the rough planks suck paint like sponges. You paint over them, and by the time you've moved on to the next panel - slurp! half the paint has disappeared into the wood. It reminds me of a scene from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, where Tom tricks his friend into painting his aunt Polly's fence. I so get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment