Wednesday 9 September 2015

Late Summer Colour in the Garden

We're back from the languor of the French Riviera and as much as I would have liked to stay a bit longer it is lovely to come back to our own lush green garden. But it's chilly here, only 7C yesterday morning!

One of my first assignments this month is to rejuvenate a herbaceous border for a regular client whose previous gardener seemed to plant euphorbia, euphorbia and more euphorbia... So we're going to add hot colours that can be seen and enjoyed from the drawing room even on rainy and grey autumn days later on. Lots of plants flower into early autumn and beyond, but it's not so easy to get your hands on them this late in the season since garden centres have switched their focus to spring-flowering bulbs. Thankfully I still have some home-grown plants in stock which I have supplemented with plants from some of my favourite online retailers - Crocus and Sarah Raven. I've pulled together dark pinks, apricot, dark reds and plum purples and I'm really looking forward to getting started with the transformation of 'Euphorbia Mound'.

Achillea millefolium 'Pomegranate'
 
Penstemon 'Blackbird'
 
Eremurus 'Romance'
 
Erysimum 'Purple Shades'
 
Aster 'Andenken an Alma Potschke'
 
Geum cocktail 'Cosmopolitan'
 
Penstemon 'Garnet'
 
Dahlia 'Elma Elizabeth'
 

No comments:

Post a Comment